Sunday, October 14, 2012

The Big Kahuna


This is probably the largest project I have worked on to date. The building is located at 1241 Carpenter Street, where my studio is. The owner of the building wanted a large drawing of the factory as it would have looked when it was first built in the late 1800's. Of course it is hard to find any photos that are that old, but I went and did some fun research with the Philadelphia Library Company. I found some pictures of the building that were taken around 1917. It was awesome to see it when it was still relatively new. The building was used to manufacture belts for factories, it was called "Main Belting Company." The original drawing is 22"x 36" and will be displayed in the entryway of the building.

Below is a little detail of all the windows I had to draw, phew!
 
Here's one of the reference photos I used, it was probably drawn with graphite.

Below is the actual building, which now has a mural on the front.


No comments: